Bringing the Text to Life
If you have a dispute with somebody, how do you resolve it?
If you’re a kid, you play Rock-Paper-Scissors, have a foot race, a staring contest or a good on-the-ground, face-in-the-dirt wrestling match.
But if you’re an adult, sitting on a bar stool in the Do-Drop Inn, you might say to your adversary, “Let’s take this outside.” Or not. Chances are, you can settle matters inside, right then and there, in a very responsible, adult way.
Unfortunately, fighting between two combatants is an age-old means of establishing dominance.
• In the Mesopotamian poem “The Epic of Gilgamesh,” Gilgamesh established his leadership by wrestling Enkidu.
• In Greek mythology, Zeus rises to rule the earth by beating down his father, Cronus, in a blockbuster battle.
• From China to Greece to Egypt, the ancient world enjoyed competitive wrestling.
• The Romans originally wrestled naked … we’ll leave it at that.
• Even before Babylon swept Jerusalem into captivity, boxing was already a celebrated Olympic sport in ...