Bringing the Text to Life
The issue of trust is one of the most crucial question facing postmoderns today.
- The catch phrase of the wildly popular "X Files" TV show declares, "Trust no one; fear everything."
- The mistrust between Republicans and Democrats has led to multiple forced government shutdowns as the battle over who can be trusted to balance the federal budget rages.
- Social "Security" is now considered a big joke by workers under the age of 45 -- who have no trust in that quickly going-broke system of "trust funds."
- Parents are frantically searching for sure-fire ways to lock their kids away from the pornography that has spread all over the Internet.
- The installation of high-tech navigational computers in the new upscale cars now means that soon you will never have to stop and ask another human being for directions -- and trust they are right -- again.
Trust is a scarce commodity. We neither have it ourselves nor expect others to have trust in us. We are trapped in a "trust deficit"...